Careers are often seen as the most important decision a person can make, and your career will indeed have a large impact on your life (Gati et al., 2019).
A study by the National Bureau of Economic Research showed that our happiness is correlated with our income. So it makes sense that people would want to make sure they’re doing what they love and earning a paycheck at the same time.
But what if you’re not sure what you want to do? How do you figure out what career path is right for you?
Luckily, there are lots of resources available to help you get started on this journey. One such resource is career guidance counseling.
However, many students do not get the kind of guidance they need when it comes to choosing a career path. This can lead to problems later on in life when they feel like they have made the wrong choice or are under-qualified for their chosen field of study. So, a guide is assembled which will examine the importance of career guidance.
Why is career guidance important?
Career guidance is essential for students to help them make informed decisions about their future. It provides a structured approach to make sure that students are aware of their strengths and weaknesses, as well as their interests and passions. It allows them to see which careers best suit their personalities, skill sets, and interests.
How Career Guidance Helps Students?
- It helps students to find out what they are good at and enjoy doing.
- It helps them to decide on a career that is suitable for their personality type, interests, skills, and abilities.
- Career guidance helps students to avoid making mistakes that could ruin their careers in the future. For example, if someone studies medicine but they do not like it or they do not have the aptitude for it, then they will be unhappy and unsuccessful as doctors.
- Career guidance helps students to avoid wasting time and money on courses or jobs that don’t suit them well and which may lead to disappointment and disillusionment later on in life when they realize how unsuitable their chosen careers were for them!
- Career guidance helps students to gain valuable knowledge about different jobs so that they can make informed decisions about which ones would be best suited for them, this means that they won’t go into professions that are not right for them but spend years doing something they hate because they think it is “good” or “important” (Savickas, 2019).
- It also helps students in developing a strong CV that will help them land their dream career. Because the essential parts of acquiring a job are effective CV writing, interview skills, and character building. You can also pay a specialist to write your CV (2019, TWH).
- Just like, when you want to shine in your academics you prefer to pay someone to do uni assignments such as online professionals, similarly, when you want to shine in your professional career, you can get help from career counsellors or domain specialists.
5 Reasons Why Career Guidance is Important for Students
Here are 5 reasons why career guidance counseling is important for students:
1. Helps students understand what they are good at
The first step when it comes to career guidance is identifying your strengths. This will then help you identify what careers would be best suited for you based on your strengths. For example, if you don’t enjoy working in teams but rather prefer working independently then this may not be the right path for you if you want to become a surgeon (which requires teamwork).
You may have been interested in many things when you were younger but then lost interest after a while or realized that it wasn’t really what you wanted from life. For example: At a younger age, you used to be good at writing and use to write dissertations of other students as well but now you pay for dissertation UK-based or US-based services to do university assignments for you. This happens because we don’t understand ourselves fully yet and don’t know exactly what we want out of life until we try different things out.
2. It Helps Students Identify Their Career Path
When you are young, it is easy to get confused about what your career should be. This confusion can result in many students changing their majors several times before finally settling on one. However, this can be a waste of resources, both in terms of money and time. As a result, the best thing to do would be to seek career guidance from experts who know exactly what they are doing. They will help you identify your passion and give you advice on how to achieve it without wasting any time or money.
3. It Helps Students Find Jobs
It is not easy for students to find jobs due to the lack of experience they have in the field they are interested in pursuing as their career choice. However, with the help of career guidance experts, this problem can easily be solved by providing them with information about how to land that first job or internship as well as tips on how to excel in interviews so that they stand out from other applicants who may also be applying for the same position or internship opportunity at their desired companies or organizations once they graduate from college or university with a degree in an appropriate subject area such as business administration or computer science.
4. Helps identify opportunities within industries
Once we find out what our strengths are, we can then start looking into opportunities within different industries based on those strengths. For example, if we know that we enjoy solving problems and having responsibility for others then this could lead us towards becoming an accountant or project manager within an organization where there are similar roles available that require these skillsets.
5. It helps you make the right decisions
Career guidance helps students make the right decisions about their future by giving them insights into various types of careers and professions. It also gives them an idea about how much money they can earn from a particular field, what kind of qualifications are required for that particular job, etc. This helps them make choices without any regrets later in life.
Career guidance is an important part of the education system in most countries across the world. It helps students focus on their career options and make better choices about their future. There are many career paths to choose from, and you must choose the right one for you. The wrong choice can mean a lifetime of unhappiness and frustration. So in this guide, the importance of career guidance is discussed which will help students to know the benefits of career counseling in their future.
TWH.2019. How to Write A CV That Creates a Lasting Impact. Online Available at: <https://thesiswritinghelp.com.pk/how-to-write-a-cv-that-creates-a-lasting-impact> (Accessed: 31 May 2022).
Savickas, M., 2019. Career counseling (pp. xvi-194). Washington, DC: American Psychological Association.
Gati, I., Levin, N. and Landman-Tal, S., 2019. Decision-making models and career guidance. In International handbook of career guidance (pp. 115-145). Springer, Cham.
visit for more articles :https://forstory.org/